Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Lord Byron's "Darkness"

"Darkness" has an overarching sense of hopelessness.  It was impossible for me to read it for symbolic meaning on my first couple of readings; I was too involved in the images themselves.  The cannibalism left a knot in my stomach, and I think it's genius how Byron moves from grandiose language on the global scale to such small details as a specific dog guarding the corpse of a specific master.  It is vague and very specific at the same time.

Byron's "Darkness" seems too dreamlike to be real yet too real to be just a dream.  The reader can't help but feel that Byron has received a glimpse into the future.  The last few words "She was the Universe", also remind me of Kali, a Hindu goddess sometimes associated with darkness and destruction.  Reading those few lines I could have sworn I was reading an Eastern text.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you bring up the Hindu goddess, Kali. The poem was mostly sparked by an eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia. The debris hurled into the atmosphere as a result of the conflagration caused the summer of 1816 (the same time Byron wrote "Darkness") to be the coldest on record and the sun to "disappear" for a few days.

    ReplyDelete