Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Comparing the two graphic novels to the original text

Where to start?  I loved both graphic novels for different reasons.  In terms of something good they both did, I loved that each one still took the subject matter seriously.  Not that there isn't a time and place for fun, goofy, spin-offs, but I think I prefer a graphic novel to take itself seriously.  This is partially because I think a heightened sense of melodrama is part of what makes graphic novels so great; if they are effective, you the reader can buy into it and transport yourself for a while.

Personally, I enjoyed the art style of Frankenstein's Womb more.  I loved that the monster was simultaneously hideous and awe inspiring.  Beautiful by no means, but well adapted to the graphic novel form (apparently Frankenstein had him on a low-carb diet in order to get him that six pack).  I also think the choice to use black and white worked very well; it helped the transition from old text to graphic novel run much more smoothly.

1 comment:

  1. Both of the graphic novels were awesome the graphics in both novels intensify this creepy eerie vibe that goes hand in hand when you think of Frankenstein. I think that the dramatic dark contrasts along with intense definitions in settings and weird angels draw the reader even more into the novel. I too, think that Frankenstein womb had a much greater appealing to me especially because of the colors, graphics and dramatic feel.

    ReplyDelete